Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The British Museum

Today was one of the best days here in London. The flat slept in and went to breakfast as a group. We then casually walked to the British museum where we split up to wander around. The first piece I encountered happened to be The Rosetta Stone. The top of the piece is hieroglyphics, the middle demotic and the bottom greek, which is how historians were able to decode the hieroglyphics. I have heard so much about the Rosetta Stone, it was a relief to finally see it in person although it was much smaller than I had imagined. There were two distinct pieces that I enjoyed in the Picasso to Julie Mehretu modern drawings exhibit: one from Heinrich Campendonk and the other Charles Seliger. Both pieces were abstract and full of color. Simplicity was far from present. But overall, I was not impressed with the exhibit. It was far smaller than I had thought it would be and there was only one small drawing by Picasso. Emily and I somehow managed to walk through the entire museum. It was easy to get lost and wonder at the same time. However, all of the visuals wore us out and we hurried back to the flat for a quick nap before class.

No comments:

Post a Comment