Sunday, January 9, 2011

Tate Britain (Eadweard Muybridge & Rachel Whiteread)

In past art history classes, Eadweard Muybridge's images concerning movement have frequently come up in discussion. As far as my learning experience, those series of images were the only ones of his that i was exposed to in the classroom. I was shocked to see the photographs he had concerning perspective. At first it was difficult to see the differece between the two images and i found myself confused. Upon further glance and after reading the short description, i began to notice the slightly different angles and shift of perspective between each set of images. These series of images held my attention for quite some time. My next favorite part of the exhibit was his panorama's. Each piece was seamless and perfect. One of my friends recently made a panorama of main street in New Paltz and i watched as he struggled to complete the project. I really appreciate how clean and clear his images are especially since these photos were taken so long ago. Seeing both these series of photographs makes me want to learn about the process of professionally taking photos as well as developing them. However, i found Muybridge's images concerning movement to be a little redundant. I was interested in seeing the image of the horse galloping in person since it is so publicized but after a while, the movements were not as interesting. I understand the innovation that lies behind the process of making these images at that time but i found myself to be far more interested in his other works.


In my design foundation classes, we went over a majority of Rachel Whiteread's sculptures. That being said I was excited to see the drawings behind her works and learn more about her process. It was interesting to see how well planned out each piece of her work was, seeing her extensive drawings. I probably would have enjoyed the exhibit more if there was a final image of the sculpture next to her sketches. Additionally, I read the sketches more architecturally than drawing-like which went along with her final product. When first walking into the room, i saw and was drawn to the negative space underneath the table. I immediatly wanted to touch the resin since it looked so shiney and greasy. From different angles, there was a shift in the color of the resin. I just cannot get past how much i wanted to touch the sculpture. I wish i could see more of her works in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment