Saturday, January 8, 2011

The London Eye, Tate Modern, and War Horse

The London Eye gave me the opportunity to see London from a birds eye view. Although it was scary, it was a great chance to absorb the city from a distance.

I was plesantly suprized by the Tate Modern and so far it has been my favorite gallery. Before reading anything about the piece, Ai WeiWei's Sunflower Seeds instantly reminded me of my past softball teams and the unity that sunflower seeds brings to a game or practice, regardless of who is on the team. The only aspect missing was the distinct scent of the seeds. Ironically, according to Ai WeiWei the sharing of sunflower seeds is a sign of friendship and kindness which is very similar to my own experience with the seeds. I enjoyed the fifth level entitled States of Flux. I spent alot of time in Andy Warhol's artist room as well as the Pop room. His choices of context, composition, and overall imagery entrances me. The room had a very calm aura to it. I appreciate all of the prints in the Russian propaganda room. Each print was flawless and aligned perfectly which is something I know is difficult to achieve. I was not a big fan of the Gauguin exhibit. I am not really a fan of paintings but the second room, Making The Familiar Strange, stood out the most to me. I easily related to the childhood dream like aspect of the pieces, especially the ones of his children. Overall, the gallery was very relaxing. It was not overcrowded and the staff was beyond helpful and friendly. I am used to the Met or MOMA where the lines just to get in are out the doors and around the corner.

I am a big fan of Broadway plays in general. However, i did not enjoy War Horse. I felt as if the plot was drawn out at parts and jumped around in others. I also found the play to be confusing since i do not understand German or French as most of the audience did. I was most interested in the craftmanship of the horses. The mechanical aspect, quality, and overall craft were beyond admirable. I wish i knew more about the actual construction of the horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment