Sunday, January 9, 2011

Westminster Abbey


Westminster Abbey is by far the most beautiful church i have seen as of yet. It is amazing to think that this church has been standing for so many years with so minimal repairs. In fact, if the guide had not pointed out the significance of the different colored stones, I would have never noticed the restorations. I was impressed with the intricacy and complicity of the architecture and how contractors were able to construct such a large, detailed structure so long ago. Since it was not a very nice day outside, myself and two others decided it would be best to revisit the site on a better day to truly observe the outside structure. It was disappoint to not be able to photograph the inside of the church. I noticed a repetition of the colors red, blue, green, gold, white, and silver. I found the unknown warrior buried in the church floor with the surrounding poppy flowers to be one of the most interesting and admirable aspects within the church. I was surprised to learn that during a royal wedding, which are the only weddings that occur in the church, the bride and groom walk around the blocked off tomb stone while walking down the isle. The amount of respect is admirable. For as long as I can remember, I have been interested in glass work. It is one aspect of art that i have no clue what-so-ever how to do. Although every church i have even been too has stained glass windows, I have never seen any as large, detailed, and colorful as the numerous ones in Westminster Abbey.

To be honest, I am not sure how interested I would have been in Westminster Abbey if we did not have a guided tour. There was so much information concerning the church that I would never have known by walking around myself. The guide was full of interesting facts about small details such as the story concerning how Almericus de Courcy bought his way into being buried in the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment