Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tower of London

The Tower of London was relatively interesting. I was mostly intrigued by the Jewel House and the Crown Jewels. I found it hard to believe that the jewels were so easily accessible being that there was only one unofficial "guard" in the room where the jewels were and a few others scattered about the building. Overall, I thought the presentation was a little bit cheesy. At first, standing in front of the videos, in a roped off line, I felt as if I was in an amusement park waiting for a ride to start.  I found the "moving sidewalk" that guided you around the jewels to be rather tasteless and devaluing. Looking at the numerous pearls and jewels on the crown, I wondered the price it cost back then to create such a piece as compared to now. I also found it a little sad that which ever Queen or King the crowns once belonged to were separated from them.
 

After walking through the Jewel House, I wondered around the grounds and towers for a while. It was a little inconvenient being that there was so much restoration and construction going on but I found the little passageways and dark towers to be fascinating. I wonder about the construction of each nook and cranny

No comments:

Post a Comment