Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Turner Prize

When I first entered the Tate Britain I was suprized at how open and calm the entrance was. The last museum I went to was the Met. The entrance to the Met always seems to be jam packed with long lines. Tate Britain was not buzy or conjested at all which instantly gave me a relaxed feeling.  I also found it hard to believe how calm it was being that the museum is huge. Walking towards the Turner Prize exhabit, i was entranced by a large painting on the wall. It was hanging over the staircase. The colors were pink, blue, and purple and the composition fascinated me. Reflecting back, I should have photographed the image, but at the time i was too entranced by its features to do so. That being said I intend to return to it to learn more about the artist and the context.


After viewing all four of the artists, I found that i related to Susan Philipsz the most. When i entered the room i instantly felt calm. I sat down and looked around the room, observing the people around me. It took me a while to realize that the same song was being repeated through three different speakers at different times. After a few minutes, i read the bio about the artists and began to really think. I realized that the artist made an environment without physically changing the room which was beyond impressive to me. You did not need to know the lyrics or the context of the song to respond to the work. I have not had much experience with sound art so I feel as if I am being biased in a positive way towards the artist in this situation. I think her work stood out the most because it is so drastically different from anything else i have ever experienced. It definatly opened my eyes to a new form of art and for that I believe that Susan Philipsz should win the Turner Prize

No comments:

Post a Comment